I was just listening to the Major Spoilers Top Five podcast, and this week’s topic was Top Five Musicals. I’ve posted a comment there, but I thought I would repost a list of my Top Five Favourite Musicals here too. My favourite musicals are all musical comedies. I guess I just prefer punch lines with my song lines. Heyoooo.
5. “Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas” – Community. This barely counts. I love this episode more for the stop motion and the meta-jokes of only Abed seeing everything in stop motion. Notable Numbers: “Sad, Quick Christmas Song”, “That’s What Christmas Is For” and Abed singing the main theme. Christmas Pterodactyl!
4. Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog. Phenomenal. Almost every song is super-catchy and well done and perfectly cast. Notable Numbers: “Bad Horse Chorus”, “My Eyes”, “A Man’s Gotta Do”, “Everyone’s a Hero” and “Everything You Ever”.
3. “My Musical” – Scrubs. The one episode of Scrubs that I watch over and over again. I loved how they integrated the musical premise so seamlessly into the show as a patient’s medical condition. And the best part is that the patient is played by none other than Stephanie D’Abruzzo. Notable Numbers: “Welcome to Sacred Heart”, “Everything Comes Down to Poo”, “Guy Love” and “What’s Going to Happen”.
2. Every Single Episode – Flight of the Conchords. Oh Flight of the Conchords, how I miss you. One of, if not the best musical comedy TV series to have ever aired. I love the dry humour, absurd situations and casual racism toward Australians. In fact, two of my favourite episodes involved hilarious Australian stereotypes. Notable Numbers: “Business Time”, “The Humans are Dead”, “The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)”, “I’m not Crying”, “Song for Sally”, “Bret You Got It Goin’ On”, “Albi the Racist Dragon”, “Mutha Uckas”, “Leggy Blonde”, “Sugalumps”, “You Don’t Have to Be a Prostitute”, “Hurt Feelings”, and “Too Many Dicks (On the Dancefloor)”. *Phew* That’s almost all of them.
1. A Very Potter Musical and A Very Potter Sequel – As someone who loved the Harry Potter books, these fan musicals were like… *drum roll* music to my ears. The songs were catchy and the performances were extremely endearing, to the point that I they’re supplanted my own imaginary cast and the movie cast in rereading the book. This is a problem, since it’s hard to take either Malfoy or Snape seriously now that I imagine them prancing about like their musical counterparts. Notable Numbers: “Goin’ Back to Hogwarts”, “Granger Danger”, “Not Alone”, “Not Over Yet”, “Harry Freakin’ Potter”, “To Have a Home”, “Hermione Can’t Draw/Lupin Can’t Sing”, “Those Voices”, “Guys Like Potter”, “Stutter”, and”Days of Summer”.