Welcome back to the Action Points podcast – now playing Episode Beta! We now have two podcasts in the bag, and I’ve just started adding a little bit more to the recording. The music at the start of the episode was sourced from the website of the talented Kevin Macleod, who provides a very comprehensive library of royalty-free music on his blog which I’ve used before as background music for Dungeons and Dragons sessions.
In this episode:
Not much gaming talk this time, but we do recap our latest game of Risk Legacy. Evan’s quest to complete his manga collections continues, and we report on some serendipitous discoveries. Watch out for the dick jokes. We also discuss the juxtaposition of adult themes with “cute” art styles and media that have gained the unjustified tag of “childish”. We talk a lot about Avatar (both The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra), 20th Century Boys and Adventure Time. I make a complete ass of myself (which is pretty normal, actually). Daniel talks about the Calendar of Tales and we cap it off with a discussion of Daniel’s latest forays into the world of pen-and-paper roleplaying games.
There were some audio issues in this recording, but I hope you can still enjoy listening us be wrong about everything. We’re all still super new at this, so we would really appreciate any feedback, criticisms, or insults you can throw our way. Without further ado, I present the second ever episode of the Action Points podcast. Please to enjoy:
Action Points Podcast – Episode BetaOpening Music: Pinball Spring by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a CC Attribution 3.0.
Podcast notes in way too much detail are also here:
- 0:52 Evan tells us about his lucky find at Classic Comics.
- 2:49 There’s a bear in the comic shop.
- 3:51 I talk about Magic cards, in particular relating to Portal Three Kingdoms.
- 5:39 We discuss the factors that drive the price of some comics. The Pokemon video Evan mentions can be found here.
- 7:09 Wincest?
- 8:54 Daniel and I recall our latest game of Risk Legacy. We mention South East South East Asia, which is the minor city I named in Australia as I mentioned here.
- 11:36 A discussion of a spoiler-y aspect of Risk Legacy. Feel free to skip ahead if you don’t want to be spoiled.
- 15:01 Evan reports on his progress on completing his manga collections.
- 16:07 Evan explains what a Princess Knight is.
- 20:15 We briefly mention Evan’s gift to me from Japan (NSFW). And penises. And Black Dynamite.
- 21:41 Back on track (maybe)… Evan laments the manga series that have been left hanging by English language publishers.
- 24:16 Daniel speaks about his rare forays into manga, and completing his collection of Samurai Deeper Kyo.
- 26:51 I gush about the first episode of Sengoku Basara! To prove I am not lying about the ridiculousness of this series, here are some screenshots.
- 29:17 I have a shocking revelation about The Legend of Korra! The conversation that follows reference some spoilers for the series, so tread lightly.
- 32:17 We discuss the exploration of mature themes while using art styles not traditionally seen as “serious”.
- 33:43 A quick chat about Avatar The Last Airbender: The Promise, cultural assimilation and identity. And I’m an idiot.
- 35:52 Evan and I gush about 20th Century Boys yet again.
- 39:52 We discuss the medium of comics and the perceptions of the medium.
- 43:04 Continuing our discussion on Art Style Dissonance, we briefly talk about Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
- 45:04 Geek crushing on Adventure Time.
- 49:00 Quick declaration of love for the Adventure Time comic book and a second mention of The Promise. At least I am less wrong on some things this time.
- 50:52 Evan taps out. If you’re only listening for Evan’s sexy voice and your MP3 player and earphones are crawling with fire ants, now is a good time to throw it into a river/burn it with fire.
- 52:14 Daniel talks about his interaction with Neil Gaiman’s Calendar of Tales.
- 56:28 Talking cock with Daniel about our last game of Dungeons and Dragons. We discuss dealing with new players and managing the different needs of players.
- 1:07:09 The podcast, and all the hopes and dreams of little children all around the world, is now over.